Re: [CH] Sticky white fly traps

Hobby Farmer (hobbyfarmer@t-one.net)
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 01:23:28 -0400

Byron.Bromley wrote:

> Whitefly traps can be made with... <<snip>> Coat with criso, used
> bacon grease... <<snip>>

Byron E-mailed me and one of the points he brought up was, is it a
good idea to use motor oil in my garden.  Well, duh!  Why didn't I
think of that?  How about if I switch to mineral oil?  I'm afraid
the bacon grease or crisco would attract four-legged critters.

> There are several USDA whitefly monitoring stations, They use a 6 in
> square trap every 10 sq ft. For every whitefly trapped they figure
> there are 100 on the plants.

I'm a bit more pro-active than that - after I set out my boards, I
shake up my plants to get the whiteflys airborne and headed to the
traps.

Hobby Farmer