Re: [CH] Garden Invaders

Ron Hill (rontah@enigma71.freeserve.co.uk)
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 20:39:56 +0100

At 08:46 21/04/99 -0500,  Deb De Forest wrote:

>What I do for mint and other invasives that I want to grow under control
>is to plant them in a large, deep plastic container (15 or 30 gal.
>nursery containers are esp. good or even an old bucket) then cut out
>bottom of container and plant container and all where I want it to grow
>but not spread.  I've used this very
>successfully with mints and with monarda (bee balm).
>Deb in Houston

Apologies for the slight off-topic but maybe some other old-timer gardener
might comment on something for me. If my sense of smell serves me right
the monarda (didyma) that I grew back in the '50s had a pleasant scented
smell but now all the varieties seem to smell of camphor or thymol (like thyme)

Is it my nose or has anyone else noticed a change?

Back on topic - Today I was given (from a supermarket) two long peppers,
they were about 10 inches long and looked somewhat like big Peter Peppers.
They came from Israel and had the name 'Ramiro Peppers'. I haven't sunk my
teeth in them yet, but they look like a sweet pepper.
Does anyone have any ideas about them?

Regards All,
Ron Hill in Eastern England.