Re: [CH] Candied Chile

Charles Demas (demas@sunspot.tiac.net)
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 19:15:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Mark Ellis wrote:

> I am looking for a recipe for candied whole chiles. I bought some once -
> just basic cayenne, but so beautiful. Yum. Can anyone help?

No recipe for that, but I'd suspect that you'd do it much like candied
orange peel, or glaceed fruit.  Pierce all over, and boil in simple
sugar syrup.  Then either put them on waxed paper or roll them in
sugar to coat.

With orange peel, you boil it in a few changes of water to get rid of
some of the bitterness of the pith.  I doubt it would be necessary
with the peppers though.

Sounds like a fun experiment.  :-)

Take a look at the recipes for candied fruit or orange peel in a good
cookbook (I think there's one in Joy of Cooking, IIRC) or at one of the
mega-recipe sites on the web.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas