Re: [CH] RE: turn on the lights & unsubscribe me.

=Mark (mstevens@exit109.com)
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 20:36:06 -0400

At 01:49 PM 4/27/99 EDT, AutumnRhea@aol.com wrote:
>~ OH NO!!!!!~ not you Rose too!!!! Rain and now Rose!!!! What is wrong with
>some of you guys( yes guys and you know who you are)!!!!?????? What is the
>problem here? some are so quick to take their feet and stick them in their
>mouths...... can't everyone have their own way of dealing with
>something...without some of you (know it alls) trying to shove your way up
>everyones  butt! I respect alot of the folks here on this list and enjoy
>their recipes....their information.... and YES their idea of Tobacco
>spray.......whether I use the recipes, absorb the information or use the
>tobacco spray......wanna know why? because they have something interesting
>share!!!! and because they don't waste our time with childish
>criticism...constructive is good.... but when all you do is wait like a
>vulture to jump on someone because you disagree with what they might say or
>the way they say it....it becomes too much!

I know this thread has gone on too long, I just want to clarify where I'm
coming from so we can avoid any hurt feelings or unsubscribes in future
debates about chiles and spicy food.  These debates, both CH related and
not have gone back and forth for as long as I've been on this list.  It's
only in recent months that there seem to have been more of a personal edge
to these posts.

I've been online for more than a decade, started out in private BBSs where
everybody enjoyed a healthy debate.  Things could get pretty fired up on
just the facts and opinions, there was no need for namecalling or personal
attacks.

These days people are so thin skinned and utterly PC that anyone they find
who disagrees with them are considered rude and accused of instigating
personal attacks on them.  I suspect many of these folks are relatively new
to the online realm and have yet to cope with the limitations of
communication by just plain text with no degree of expressions or vocal
intonation.  What might have been intended as a friendly jibe to a friend
might be considered by others to be an attack or insult.

Consider the phrase "Healthy Debate."  I enjoy debating opinion and fact,
and do not expect those whom I may disagree with to feel as I am personally
attacking them.  I suspect any group who all hold the same beliefs about
every aspect of life and living to be pretty dull, or maybe a cult.  We
discuss, debate argue and laugh with all our most intimate friends and
family.  Just because we may disagree on some points is not cause to pick
up ones marbles and go away.

As I said before, people can disagree with me, and I'll enjoy a good debate
on any issue, Even hot and spicy food!  Folks can feel free to give their
opinions too, they're entitled to them.  It's a big world out there though,
so don't get the undies in a bunch if everybody does not agree!

                    =Mark "Runs With Scissors" Stevens

                @ http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens @
                                  @ ICQ# 2059548 @

                              Visiting DC for a few days...