[CH] Graphic Scrapple, was: Another recipe for grits

Rockin' Randy (ledbelly99@yahoo.com)
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 17:56:30 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Myron,

Wow, that was enlightening!  I'm glad to see it is an "explosion of
nutrition".  That makes me feel better about eating it!

I guess it's a cop out by adding peppers to any recipe or any post to stay
on topic, but here's an unabridged recipe I found on:

Berks County Recipe Page

http://www.berksweb.com/pam/scrapple.html

PEPPERS STUFFED WITH SCRAPPLE

(6 servings)

1 1/2 lbs Scrapple
6 large green peppers
3 tbsp. chopped onion
1 c. cheese sauce

Cube and soften scrapple over low heat. Add onion. Cut thin slice from
stem end of peppers. Remove seeds and plunge in
boiling water 5 minutes. Drain and stuff with scrapple. Set peppers in
muffin pans. Bake in moderate oven (350 deg. F.) 25 to
30 minutes. Top with cheese sauce.

I suppose Pablanos would work fine - you know,  Scrapple Relleno.

Here's another shorty:

BAKED SCRAPPLE ALOHA

(6 servings)

2 lbs scrapple
6 slices pineapple

Grease lightly shallow baking pan. Cut scrapple loaf in 6 two-inch pieces.
Lay piece of scrapple over each slice of pineapple.
Bake in 375 deg. F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until brown. Serve hot
with chili sauce or catsup.

Mmmm ... I love pineapple!!!

You see that no recipe is given for the "chili sauce" so this leaves
plenty of room for the creative ones on the list.

Can't say I've tried these but by their simple nature I can tell they're
tasty!

In all my excitement about a new food adventure I went to the Ingles and
actually found scrapple:

Jenkins Country Scrapple (Shelby, N.C.)
Ingredients: Pork Broth, Corn Meal, Rice Flour, Pork Livers,
Pork, Pork Rinds, Salt, Spices.

The word "pork" bothers me, being a *very* general term.  However, I don't
see anything that looks like pork snouts or pork peckers so I'm gonna fry
up a slice and check it out!

I reckon I could mash it up with Calvin's,  Jim's Smoked Hab, and throw in
some lemon grass in honor of Doug - the World's first Thai Scrapple!

Thanks a bunch for the info!

rr

--- Myron Menaker <myronm@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Yo, Randy!
>
> Here in gory detail is how scrapple is made:
>
>        <http://www.scrapple.com/scrapple/recipe.html>
>
> Warning: this is not for the squeamish!

--- Myron Menaker <myronm@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Yo, Randy!
>
> Here in gory detail is how scrapple is made:
>
>        <http://www.scrapple.com/scrapple/recipe.html>
>
> Warning: this is not for the squeamish!
>
> Myron

===