RE: [CH] ....Words of Wisdom and raised bed question

Bloechl, Sharen Rund (sharen.rund.bloechl@lmco.com)
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 07:12:31 -0700

That "bad stuff" is creasote [a brownish oily liquid consisting chiefly of
aromatic hydrocarbons obtained by distillation of coal tar and used
especially as a wood preservative] - it also keeps termites out - in
addition to railroad ties, it was also used to "cure" wood bricks used in
streets in the 18th century - they were soaked in the stuff, then it was
allowed to "cure"/dry - I don't know about it being "bled out" but they are
safe for use in a raised veggie/hot pepper bed

Sharen Rund Bloechl

Lockheed Martin Enterprise Information Systems
Sunnyvale Data Center
sharen.rund.bloechl@lmco.com <mailto:sharen.rund.bloechl@lmco.com>
Phone: 408-756-5432
[or]                                Fax:   408-756-0912
srund@svl.ems.lmco.com <mailto:srund@svl.ems.lmco.com>               LMnet:
8-326-5432
Pager: 408-539-5146  web:  http://webpager.lmms.lmco.com/perl/mtrocall.cgi
<http://webpager.lmms.lmco.com/perl/mtrocall.cgi>
[or] Operator Assist:  1-800-725-5079, pin 408-539-5146