Re: [CH] Piri Piri Chile?

Kristofer Blennow (kristofer@blennow.se)
Tue, 4 May 1999 07:38:18 +0200

On 3 May 99, shadow1@pioneer.net wrote:

> apparently there is a piri piri  chile. Well piri piri chile - if that's
> really your name, present yourself know to our scrutiny!!!!

Piri-Piri was the chile that introduced me to really hot capsicums.
At that time, say 15 years ago, I found them pickled, a few years
later also dried. Very hot indeed. "Piri-Piri" seems to be the
general Swahili name for "hot pepper", it is listed:

http://zygote.agfor.unimelb.edu.au:8008/Porcher/Plantnames/Sorting/Cap
sicum_allinclu.html

...as a Capsicum frutescens, but not very well defined.

Can anyone throw some more light on this small, pointy, tasty thing?

Kristofer