Re: [CH] Rare Meat

Charles Demas (demas@sunspot.tiac.net)
Tue, 18 May 1999 18:50:51 -0400 (EDT)

On 16 May 1999, Jim Weller wrote:

> I had never heard of toxoplasmosis before and your comments caused me to
> do some research.
>
> Apparently it is a protozoa not a bacteria so freezing the meat will
> take care of it. And it isn't just wild game but all meats that are a
> risk. Besides miscarriages there is a risk of retarded and otherwise
> damaged babies as well. It can be deadly for fetuses but is relatively
> harmless to healthy adults.
>
> " Health Answers Medical Reference Library - Toxoplasmosis
>
> Definition: A common infection with the protozoan intracellular parasite
> Toxoplasma gondii.
>
> Prevention: Avoid undercooked meats, or freeze meat to -20 degrees
> Celsius for 2 days. "
>
> 1998 A.D.A.M. Software, Inc.
> HealthAnswers is a registered trademark of Orbis Broadcast Group, Inc.
> Copyright + 1999 HealthAnswers.com, Inc.

-20 Celsius is equivalent to -4 Fahrenheit, which may not be achievable by
most home freezers.  I'm not really certain about this though.

Freezing is also used to eliminate the risk of parasites in fish,
especially fish used for sushi (some of which are eated raw).  This
freezing process cannot be normally achieved by home freezers.

For fish used for sushi the time and temp are 7 days at -4 Fahrenheit or
15 hours at -31 Fahrenheit.  These are FDA numbers, IIRC.

I assume the parasites are different, but I don't know.  Most of the
fish parasites are worms, and are visible by the naked eye, and are
cut out by the sushi chef when they see them.  That's what I've gleaned
from discussions in alt.food.sushi.  Protozoa are microscopic single
cells, and not visible to the naked eye.

As for venison, it's very lean, and will be tough if roasted well done
unless you take steps to prevent that.  Larding should help, as would
different cooking methods, like braising.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas