Re: [CH] Adobo V5 #331

Cameron Begg (begg.4@osu.edu)
Thu, 20 May 1999 08:12:20 -0500

Hi C-H's,
Andrew Healy wrote:
>Have tried to make my own brand of chipotles in adobo, but, am stumped as
>to how long to leave it before consumption.  How long can you lot keep your
>own bottles maturing ?

Years if you pressure "can" them properly. "Can" is the term used in the US
to describe pressure cooking and sealing in preserving jars. I think these
jars are called "Kilner" jars where you come from and most often
"Ball/Mason" jars over here.

There are many web sites with instructions on how to do this, but 30min. at
15psi works for me. Be very careful to avoid frothing which might prevent a
proper seal.

Chipotle en adobo works very well, as the chipotles previously dried by the
smoking process rehydrate in the adobo sauce during cooking thereby
thickening it. The composition of the sauce is for you to experiment with.
Good luck, but it's difficult to mess up completely!
---
                     Regards,               Cameron.