[CH] RE: Hot Stuff

danceswithcarp (dcombs@bloomington.in.us)
Tue, 25 May 1999 10:35:02 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 25 May 1999, Stober, Karen E, SITS wrote:

> Tabasco Habenero Sauce?  I've gotten that in NJ. I just can't remember
> where.

I never have found the stuff here in Indy-by-gawd-anna, or in Washington
state or Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maryland,
the Eastern Shore or points between.

However, at the local "Mr. D's" supermarket I found "Louisiana Habenero
Sauce" put out by the Louisiana Hot Sauce Company (now part of
McIllhenny's).  The sauce is $.79 for a bottle the size of a normal
Louisiana Hot Sauce bottl.  It's not as subtle as "The Brew" nor as hot as
Grace, (It's maybe a 5.5 to 6--I think it's hotter than Tabasco)but for a
vinegar/salt sauce at seventy-nine cents a pop, I highly recommend it.
It beats the regular Louisiana Hot Sauce by a great margin.

Speaking of which, while I was teaching at the prison the guys complained
a lot that LHS was the only hot sauce they could get.  So I taught them to
open the bottles and let them set in their turned on coffee-water warmers
for a few days to evaporate the vinegar out to increase the heat levels.
A couple tried it and said after you evaporated about 90% of the vinegar
it wasn't a bad spice.

They also got TAM jalapeno nacho slices for their cell snacks from the
commissary. The prison, no lie, kept the heat levels of the food down so
no one could make weapons out of it.  Guys would offer me $20-30 to bring
them a bottle of Tabasco.  Of course they'd also offer me $50 for a pack
of cigarettes, and thousands for narcotics, but the desperation for heat
tugged at my heart.

carp