Re: [CH]bugs!

Che Wong (che.wong@tempe.vlsi.com)
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 07:57:13 -0700

--------------AD649EC932786AFC961860C5

This is meant for Bill Aaron (baaron@sbuniv.edu). Direct
mail to him keeps getting bounced. Others may also be
interested in the link below, it has some pretty good
pictures and descriptions of diseases and pests that affect
pepper plants.

Also check out :

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/selectnewpest.peppers.html

The only other bug that I can think of would be grasshoppers, but I
doubt that they would make such small holes. The best way to diagnose
the problem would be to take a few leaves to a nursery or even better,
the local agriculture extension and they can do a better job of ID
that with a verbal description.

Whatever the bug, BT (Bacillus thurgicide (sp?)) will probably be the
most effective remedy if
the bugs are actually eating the leaf parts. If they are cutter bees
or similar, then they do not actually ingest the material. BT is a "nice"
bug spray. It comes in both powder and liquid form. It is a natural
virus that is neutralized by sunlight after a few days. It only affects
the bugs that eat it; it eats the bugs from the inside out.

The only bug that does any major damage to chile plants that I have
encountered are the tomato hored worms. They will actually strip the entire
leaf and leave only the main leaf rib. These holes you are seeing
does not sound like them, so I would not worry too much unless you start
to lose entire leaves. Do check that the damaged leaves are still alive and not
dried out; sometimes I get fooled because a glance shows that the leaves
are green on a plant, but in actuallity, the leaves have dried out and the
plant in dying.

Good luck and hope you have a great harvest.