Re: [CH] Dried peppers?

Doug Irvine (dirvin@bc.sympatico.ca)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 16:52:49 +0000

John Lowe wrote:

> How do I use dried peppers?
>
> I've been cooking, making sauces, etc. with fresh peppers.  My son gave
> me a nice selection of dried peppers -- ones that aren't available fresh
> here in Ottawa.
>
> But, how do I use them?  Soak them first?  Use them dry and let them
> absorb other ingredients in the sauce over time?
>
> John Lowe

You didnt say what kind, but I would say, very carefully, John, until
you know what they are...if they are long dark red ones, they are likely
Anaheims,wash them, open them and shake out most of the seeds remove the
stem and soak them in boiling water for about ten minutes after turning
the heat off...then add 1 medium onion, chopped, 2-3 garlic cloves 1/2
tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp cumin salt to taste, and simmer the whole mess for
about half an hour or longer...put in a blender or food processor and
mush up, then run through a seive, you should have a neat, hot, red
liquid, like tomato sauce, but vive la difference!
Other smaller dried chiles can be soaked first, and then used, or
crumbled dry...use rubber gloves until you know what they are, and put
with anything you want chiles in...put some in, cook the whatever, THEN
TASTE IT...if not hot enuf, add more...sorta like kiss and tell, you
kiss it and it will tell you! Cheers, Doug in BC