[CH] Peruvian Recipes, "translated"

Rich McCormack (macknet@cts.com)
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 06:40:13 -0700

About Andrew Healy's email attachment -- PERUVIAN RECIPE.doc -- sent
to the C-H mailing list, Cameron Begg writes:

>Subject: Re: [CH]V4 #463 Hotlanta
>   Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 08:13:19 -0500
>   From: Cameron Begg <begg.4@osu.edu>
>     To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com

>I think that's a record. Let's see - 40kilobytes to 2,000 people is
>80megabytes of crap. What a waste of bandwith!

Aside from the fact Andrew broke the rules by sending an email
attachment to the list, the recipes themselves weren't a waste,
they have possibilities.  Someone else, can't remember who, piled
it on by converting the file into Rich Text format and then sending
it to the list again...as an email attachment (that did reduce the
file to 10kb though).  So, for anyone who may have given up at this
point and has no idea what the recipes are, here are the Peruvian
recipes in plain old email form...

Originally sent to the C-H mailing list by Andrew Healy
<A.Healy@surrey.ac.uk> attached to an email message.

PERUVIAN RECIPE

Preserving Aji:

Wash and blend with a bit of oil until you have a puree - chunky
or not - put in small canning jars with a plastic lid and keep in
freezer.  Use in many of the following recipes.

LOMO SALTADO: stir fried steak

Use a good quality steak, cut thinly across the grain.  I use
New York strip or flank.

Slice beef thinly across the grain and fry in hot oil until
brown - set aside;

2 small onions cut in strips - fry slowly until soft and
transparent;

3/4 fresh garlic cloves - add to onions about half way through
cooking onions;

2 fresh, ripe tomatoes cut in quarters - add to onions and garlic
once the onions are soft;

Add whatever quantity of aji amarillo you want and stir fry for
2 minutes or so;

Mix in meat; heat thoroughly; serve over rice with freshly made
fries on top.

ARROZ CON PATO - rice with duck (you can also use chicken if
you like)

1 duck cut in pieces
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup oil
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
1 large tomatoe, peeled and chopped
1 bunch coriander, chopped fine
aji amarillo ground or 1 (or more) fresh pepper cut in strips
5 cups water
1/2 bottle of beer - not ale
1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
2 1/2 cups rice
1/4 cup oil

Season duck with salt and pepper.  Brown in oil and remove from
pan.  In the same oil brown the garlic, onion and tomatoe and then
add coriander and hot pepper.  Cook for 2 minutes.  Return duck to
pan and add water and beer.  Cook over moderate heat until duck is
almost tender.  Add peas and rice.  Season and cook for 10 minutes
over high heat.  Reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes or so until
rice is dry.  Five minutes before removing from heat add 1/4 cup oil
and stir lightly.

CAUSA A LA LIMENA - potatoe salad from Lima

8 yellow or white potatoes unpeeled (in Peru there are tiny yellow
  potatoes available that are very creamy - I use Yukon Gold instead)
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup oil
salt and pepper to taste
ground hot yellow peppers

Cook the potatoes: remove skins and mash well.  Add lemon juice, oil,
salt, pepper and hot peppers.  Shape into small balls or spread on
platter and cover with the following sauce:

2 onions, thinly sliced
1 fresh hot pepper (or more) cut in strips
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon oil
juice of 1/2 lemon

Wash onion and pepper slices in cold water.  Drain and season with
salt and pepper.  Add the oil and lemon juice and mix well.  Garnish
with the following: ripe olives, fresh cheese, sliced hard-boiled
eggs, cooked shrimp, ham, pieces of fried white fish, lettuce leaves
or whatever you like.

THIS IS SOMETHING I ALWAYS MAKE WITH GRILLED STEAK - IT'S ALSO
WONDERFUL ON PORK ROAST SANDWICHES:  SALSA CRIOLLA

Red onions
Aji amarillo
Garlic
Oil
Salt and pepper

Slice onions thinly - put in sieve and pour boiling water over the
onions to soften them (they still retain some crunch); Add as much
garlic and aji amarillo as you like; Add oil - just enough to make
it all a bit runny - experiment Season to taste

ESCABECHE - fish in onion sauce

2 pounds white fish (firm)
salt and pepper to taste
flour
1 pound onions, cut in thick slices
4 fresh hot peppers, sliced
1 teaspoon ground hot pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano
oil for frying
1 cup vinegar
2 hard-boiled eggs
cooked ears of corn
12 ripe olives
cooked sweet potatoe
1 cup fresh cheese
lettuce leaves

Skin fish, remove bones and cut in large pieces.  Season with salt
and pepper, dip in flour and fry in very hot shortening.  Place on
a platter.

Put onion, fresh peppers, ground peppers, oregano, salt and pepper
in a saucepan with sufficient oil.  When onion is cooked, add the
vinegar and cover saucepan.  Immediately remove from heat and pour
over fish.  Garnish with the eggs, pieces of corn, olives, sliced
sweet potatoes, cheese and lettuce.

PAPAS A LA HANCAINA - potatoes from Huancayo

10 yellow or white potatoes, cooked and peeled

Arrange potatoes on serving dish and cover with the following sauce:

2 cups fresh cheese
3 hard-boiled egg yolks
2 tablespoons (to taste) ground hot peppers
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup oil
1/2 cup evaporated milk
few drops of lemon juice
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped and rinsed in boiling water
    (same method as salsa criolla)
5 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
10 ripe olives
1 hot pepper cut in strips
lettuce leaves

Mash together the cheese and egg yolks with a fork.  Add hot peppers,
salt and pepper and mix well.  Pour in oil a little at a time as for
mayonnaise; add evaporated milk and lemon juice.  Beat well and lastly,
add onion.  Cover potatoes with this sauce and garnish with remaining
ingredients.

ANTICHUCHOS - Peruvian shiskabobs

In Peru beef heart is used but I use a good quality beef steak.

Cut in cubes and marinate overnight in the following:

Good quality wine (yes, wine, not wine vinegar)
Garlic to taste
1/4 cup ground aji amarillo
1/2 cup chopped aji amarillo
1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
1/2 teaspoon achiote (annato seed)
salt and pepper

Make sure the meat is completely covered.  Keep in fridge at least
overnight.

Put meat on wooden or metal skewers and cook on a spit or rack over
direct heat, basting with the following sauce, until done to taste:

1/4 cup ground hot peppers
1/2 cup oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
a few tablespoons of the marinade

The tradition in our family was to have anticuchos with freshly made
fries, and a big salad made from a variety of lettuce, avocadoe and
tomatoe with an oil, red wine vinegar and garlic dressing.  Yum yum -
my mouth is watering as I write this - guess I'll make these this
weekend with the last of my frozen aji.

CEVICHE DE CORVINA - pickled white fish - this is delicious despite
the use of the word "pickle"

2 pounds firm white fish
6 lemons - in Peru limes are used as they are acidic - try a
  combination of limes and lemons
3 sour oranges
2 large onions, finely sliced
2 cloves ground garlic
2 hot peppers (red or yellow) cut in strips
salt and pepper to taste
1 pound cooked sweet potatoes
cooked ears of corn
lettuce leaves

Clean fish and remove skin and bones.  Cut into small pieces.  Place
fish in a large colander and wash it lightly.  Drain well and place
in a bowl - cover completely with lemon juice; add salt, pepper, hot
peppers and garlic.  Mix all well.  Wash onions well in salted water,
drain and rinse well.  Add onion and hot pepper to fish and mix.
Cover tightly and let stand for at least 3 hours in order for fish to
"cook".  Serve on platter; garnish with sliced sweet potatoes, pieces
of corn and lettuce leaves.

--
Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@cts.com

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at: