Re: [CH] Hot & Sour Soup

Charles Demas (demas@tiac.net)
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 02:17:15 -0400 (EDT)

For me, hot and sour soup isn't the same without some tiger lily buds.

Get them dried at an oriental food store.  They are very inexpensive,
about $2.00 for a big package (like egg noodle size).  Use them like
dried mushrooms.  Remove the hard stems after they've soaked and softened.
Put about 2 buds per serving, or as you like them.  They have a sharp
tangy taste.

BTW, I'm told that it's the balance between the vinegar and pepper that's
critical.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, Doug Irvine wrote:

> Hot and Sour soup originated in China a long time ago as a way of using
> upleftovers! It can be made as hot as you wish by the addition of as
> many habs as you want(or any other hot pepper):
> 1/4 cup cloud ears OR 1 cup dried Chinese black mushrooms
> 1/4 lb ground pork
> 3	tbls cornstarch
> 1	tbls dry sherry OR Chinese cooking wine
> 1/2 cup water
> 2	beancurds
> 4	tbls rice wine vinegar or to taste(this is the sour)
> 1/2 tsp white pepper
> 1	tsp hot chile paste
> 2	tsp sesame oil
> 3	scallions chopped to garnish
> 1	quart chicken stock(use good home made)
> 	salt to taste
> 1	tbls light soy sauce
> 1	egg, beaten

[instructions snipped]

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas