Re: [CH] Chile-Heads Digest V4 #467

Cameron Begg (begg.4@osu.edu)
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 08:11:46 -0500

Mary wrote:
>Anyone know where I can buy 6 gallons of 20% acidity white distilled vinegar?

Chuck replied:
>Sounds more like glacial acetic acid than vinegar.  You might consider
>a chemical supply house.  Check your yellow pages.

Be very careful! Glacial acetic acid is 100% and must be diluted with four
parts of water to make a 20% solution. Mary needs to make up 1.2gal of
acetic acid to 6gal to obtain a 20% solution. If you must, do it outdoors,
upwind of the acetic acid pouring and mixing. Wear the appropriate
protective clothing. It is nasty stuff.

Megan wrote:
>I would recommend price costco/ sam's club/ b.j's or whatever other
>wholesale place you can find, and then doing a silution to get the 20%
>concentrate.  Cookbook chemistry and all!

No. You won't find glacial acetic acid for sale in those places. I would
recommend buying the stuff already diluted to 20%. Call any local
restaurant supply house (try Food Products-Whsle in the yellow pages) and
they will tell you the nearest place to get it.

                     Regards,               Cameron.