Re: [CH] Winter ( and a Datil question )

W. P. Cody (wpcody.nospam@mindspring.com)
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 21:19:02 -0400

Ed:

I grew some Datils for the first time last year near Charlotte, North
Carolina which is an USDA Zone 7 and typically has fairly hot and humid
summers.  They  produced lots of flowers, set fruit easily, and had a dense
bushy appearance.  Last year's Datils were very heavy producers of tasty and
aromatic peppers.  This year I have 30 thriving Datils which were started
from seed about 100 days ago (open pollinated seed saved from last year).
They are just now starting to flower.   If you want some seed I'd be happy
to share (or trade) from last years lot later this year if and after they
prove to produce true rather than a hybrid surprise.

Datil grower replied their success in growing them in several locations
other than Florida.  As I recall the suggestion was that Datils seem to
prefer partial shade and more moisture than other varieties.  You may find
that they like the Pacific Northwest just fine in the direct sun.  Go for
it!!!

Phil

When the situation is desperate, it is too late to be serious. Be playful.
-Edward Abbey