[CH] Thomas Food Industry Register

The Old Bear (oldbear@arctos.com)
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:15:34 -0400

In Chile-Heads' Digest, v.4 #468, Rick <rick1@i1.net> wrote:

>Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 17:07:05 -0500
>From: Rick <rick1@i1.net>
>Subject: Re: [CH] Chile-Heads Digest V4 #467
>
>> Mary wrote:
>> >
>> >Anyone know where I can buy 6 gallons of 20% acidity white
>> >distilled vinegar?
>
>  Let's back up a little bit here, guys. Mary's asking for Vinegar,
>not industrial grade acids. Since this is coming from the Fire Girl,
>I have to believe she wants something she can safely eat.  (My
>apologies, I missed the original post)  To find Vinegar, visit your
>local library and ask for a copy of Thoma's Food Register.  Its a
>thick red book that lists suppliers of most food items in bulk
>quantities.
>
>Mary, If your library doesn't carry this book, contact me directly
>and I'll get a bit more info about what you're trying to accomplish.
>Then I'll go make copies of the pages that should interest you and
>mail them to you.
>
>Rick in St Louis

The Thomas Food Industry Register is also available online at:

   The Thomas Food Industry Register is the most comprehensive
   buying guide for food industry professionals.  On this site,
   foodservice and food processing professionals can search a
   database of more than 30,000 U.S. and Canadian suppliers of
   food products, ingredients, equipment, and supplies listed
   under 6,000 product categories.  Access to this information
   is free and unlimited.  You'll also find free, up-to-date
   information on trade shows around the world, government
   resources and market trends.

Another useful source of commercial food industry information is
"Food Online", which described itself as "the virtual community and
marketplace for professionals and vendors in the food equipment
industry":

These are not sites for folks looking to buy a 3-oz. bottle of
hot sauce; these are the places to go when you're looking for a
gas-fired turbine for your processing plant or a supplier who
can provide you with six tank cars of high-fuctose corn sweetener.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
The Old Bear