Re: [CH] Birds !#$@

Charles Demas (demas@tiac.net)
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 03:44:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Dan Bar Dov wrote:

> Its hot in Israel now. I figured I can sprout directly in the ground. And
> indeed it works fine.
> Alas, birds are eating the new sprouts.
> They prefer them with 2 leaves, but also eat the leaves of up to about 6
> leaves plant. They don't touch the more grown up plants.
>
> Scarecrow ? I don't think so.
> Any ideas ?

IIRC, wineries use recordings of birds in distress or some such thing to
keep the birds away.  My grandfather had a stuffed wildcat that worked
very well as a scarecrow type thing.  There is always netting or clouches.

Personally, I wonder how well falcons would work.  Probably not well
enough, and too much work keeping them.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas