[CH] [Fwd: The Chili Cookoff]

Doug Irvine (dirvin@bc.sympatico.ca)
Thu, 02 Jul 1998 13:49:37 -0800

--------------7C1840414F70

Could NOT have been a certified chile-head!

--------------7C1840414F70

Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 11:53:42 -0700
To: doug irvine <dirvin@bc.sympatico.ca>
From: Ron Herd <Ron_Herd@bc.sympatico.ca>
Subject: The Chili Cookoff
Cc: Jack Daniels <john_daniels@bc.sympatico.ca>

--============_-1312716779==_ma============

->The Chili Cookoff
> [...]
> coiled and uncoiled-it's kinda cute.
>

> Chili #5:  Linda's Legal Lip Remover
>
> JUDGE ONE: Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly
>ground adding co
> nsiderable kick.  Very impressive.
>
> JUDGE TWO: Chili using shredded beef; could use more
>tomato.  Must admit
> the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.
>
> CAMERON:   My ears are ringing and I can no longer focus
>my eyes. I belched
>and four people in front of me needed paramedics.  The
>contestant
> seemed hurt when I told her that her chili had given me
>brain damage. Sally
>saved my tongue by pouring beer directly on it from a
>pitcher. Sort of
> irritates me that one of the other judges asked me to stop
>screaming.
>

> Chili #6:  Vera's Very Vegetarian Variety
>
> JUDGE ONE: Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good
>balance of spice
> and peppers.
>
> JUDGE TWO: The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers,
>onions, and
> garlic.Superb.
>
> CAMERON:   My intestines are now a straight pipe filled
>with gaseous
> flames. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except
>Sally. I asked if
> she wants to go dancing later.
>

> Chili #7:  Susan's Screaming Sensation Chili
>
> JUDGE ONE: A mediocre chili with too much reliance on
>canned peppers.
>
> JUDGE TWO: Ho Hum, tastes as if the chef threw in canned
>chili peppers at
> the last moment.  I should note that I am worried about
>Judge Number 3, he
> appears to be in a bit of distress.
>
> CAMERON:   You could put a hand grenade in my mouth and
>pull the pin and I
>wouldn't feel it.  I've lost the sight in one eye and the
>world sounds
> like it is made of rushing water.  My clothes are covered
>with chili which
> slid unnoticed out of my mouth at some point.  Good, at
>autopsy they'll
> know what killed me.  Go Sally, save yourself before it's
>too late.  Tell
> our children I'm sorry I was not there to conceive them.
>I've decided to
> stop breathing, it's too painful and I'm not getting any
>oxygen anyway.  If
> I need air I'll just let it in through the hole in my
>stomach. Call the
> X-Files people and tell them I've found a super nova on my
>tongue.
>
> Chili #8: Helen's Mount Saint Chili
>
> JUDGE ONE: This final entry is a good, balanced chili,
>neither mild nor
> hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge
>Number 3 fell and
> pulled the chili pot on top of himself.
>
> JUDGE TWO: A perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili,
>safe for all, not
> too bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.

Ron Herd
Ron_Herd@bc.sympatico.ca
Telephone 1 (250) 756-9663
Fax 1 (250) 758-8454
--============_-1312716779==_ma============

Chili Cookoff

Cameron)

> Recently I was honored to be selected as an Outstanding=20

>Famous Celebrity in

>my Community to be a judge at a chili cook-off because no=20

>one else wanted to

>do it.  Also the original person called in sick at the last=20

>moment and I

>happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking=20

>directions to the

>beerwagon when the call came.

> I was assured by the other two judges that the chili=20

>wouldn't be all that

> spicy, and besides they told me I could have free beer=20

>during the tasting,

> so I accepted this as being one of those burdens you=20

>endure when you're an

> Internet writer and therefore known and adored by all.=20

> Here are the

> scorecards from the event:

Chili #1:  Mike's Maniac Mobster Monster Chili

> JUDGE ONE: A little too heavy on tomato.  Amusing kick.

> JUDGE TWO: Nice, smooth tomato flavor  Very mild.

> CAMERON:   Holy smokes, what is this stuff?  You could=20

>remove dried paint

> from your driveway with it.  Took me two beers to put the=20

>flames out. Hope

> that's the worst one.  These people are crazy.

</paraindent>>

Chili #2:  Arthur's Afterburner

> JUDGE ONE: Smoky (barbecue?)  with a hint of pork.  Slight=20

>Jalapeno tang.

> JUDGE TWO: Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be=20

>taken seriously.

> CAMERON:   Keep this out of reach of children!  I'm not=20

>sure what I am

> supposed to taste besides pain.  I had to wave off two=20

>people who

> wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver.  Shoved my way to=20

>the front of the

>beer line. The barmaid looks like a professional wrestler=20

>after a bad

> night. She was so irritated over my gagging sounds that=20

>the snake tattoo

> under her eye started to twitch. She has arms like Popeye=20

>and a face like

> Winston Churchill.  I will NOT pick a fight with her.

</paraindent>>

Chili #3:  Fred's Famous Burn Down the Barn

> JUDGE ONE: Excellent firehouse chili!  Great kick.  Needs=20

>more beans.

> JUDGE TWO: A beanless chili, a bit salty, good use of red=20

>peppers.

> CAMERON:   This has got to be a joke.  Call the EPA, I've=20

>located a Uranium

> spill.  My nose feels like I have been sneezing Drano.=20

>Everyone knows the

> routine by now and got out of my way so I could make it to=20

>the beer wagon.

> Barmaid pounded me on the back; now my backbone is in the=20

>front part of my

>chest.  She said her friends call her "Sally.  Probably=20

>behind her back

> they call her "Forklift."

</paraindent>>

000</param><bigger>>
Chili #4:  Bubba's Black Magic

almost no spice.=20

> Disappointing.

> JUDGE TWO: A hint of lime in the black beans.  Good side=20

>dish for fish or

> other mild foods, not much of a chili.

> CAMERON:   I felt something scraping across my tongue but=20

>was unable to

> taste it.. Sally was standing behind me with fresh refills=20

>so I wouldn't

> have to dash over to see her. When she winked at me her=20

>snake sort of

> coiled and uncoiled-it's kinda cute.

</paraindent>>

gger>>
Chili #5:  Linda's Legal Lip

> JUDGE ONE: Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly=20

>ground adding co

> nsiderable kick.  Very impressive.

> JUDGE TWO: Chili using shredded beef; could use more=20

>tomato.  Must admit

> the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.

> CAMERON:   My ears are ringing and I can no longer focus=20

>my eyes. I belched

>and four people in front of me needed paramedics.  The=20

>contestant

> seemed hurt when I told her that her chili had given me=20

>brain damage. Sally

>saved my tongue by pouring beer directly on it from a=20

>pitcher. Sort of

> irritates me that one of the other judges asked me to stop=20

>screaming.

</paraindent>>

Very Vegetarian Variety

> JUDGE ONE: Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good=20

>balance of spice

> and peppers.

> JUDGE TWO: The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers,=20

>onions, and

> garlic.Superb.

> CAMERON:   My intestines are now a straight pipe filled=20

>with gaseous

> flames. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except=20

>Sally. I asked if

> she wants to go dancing later.

Chili #7:  Susan's Screaming Sensation Chili

> JUDGE ONE: A mediocre chili with too much reliance on=20

>canned peppers.

> JUDGE TWO: Ho Hum, tastes as if the chef threw in canned=20

>chili peppers at

> the last moment.  I should note that I am worried about=20

>Judge Number 3, he

> appears to be in a bit of distress.

> CAMERON:   You could put a hand grenade in my mouth and=20

>pull the pin and I

>wouldn't feel it.  I've lost the sight in one eye and the=20

>world sounds

> like it is made of rushing water.  My clothes are covered=20

>with chili which

> slid unnoticed out of my mouth at some point.  Good, at=20

>autopsy they'll

> know what killed me.  Go Sally, save yourself before it's=20

>too late.  Tell

> our children I'm sorry I was not there to conceive them.=20

>I've decided to

> stop breathing, it's too painful and I'm not getting any=20

>oxygen anyway.  If

> I need air I'll just let it in through the hole in my=20

>stomach. Call the

> X-Files people and tell them I've found a super nova on my=20

>tongue.

</center>>

Chili #8: Helen's Mount Saint Chili

> JUDGE ONE: This final entry is a good, balanced chili,=20

>neither mild nor

> hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge=20

>Number 3 fell and

> pulled the chili pot on top of himself.

> JUDGE TWO: A perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili,=20

>safe for all, not

> too bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.

> CAMERON:   Momma...

</flushright>

Ron Herd

Ron_Herd@bc.sympatico.ca