Re: [CH] Aji Amarillio - dropping blossoms

Richard, Jan & Jessica Strayer (ab252@lafn.org)
Sat, 4 Jul 1998 00:13:45 -0700

> sasha wrote:
> >
> > Hullo everyone,
> >
> > My aji amarillo plants are gorgeous here in Southern Ontario - tall,
> > lush and sturdy.  Only one problem - the blossoms are drying up and
> > falling off.
> >  Any idea why and what I might do about this?
> >
> > Thanks for any help you can give me.
> >
> > Sasha
> >

> Hi all
>
>  I answered a similar post from Nick a few days ago and should have
> maybe posted to the list.
>
> I had the same problem here in NZ last year. From the answers I received
> the message was "don't panic" Most peppers will set fruit when they are
> ready. Mine dropped heaps of flowers early, then followed with a bumper
> crop. Even the leftover plants I planted in odd corners all produced some
> fruit, no matter how neglected and stunted. Peppers seem really determined
> to produce seed.
>
> On a personal note thanks to everyone for the kind and thoughtful
> messages received after my sad loss.
>
> Tony Flynn

I would have responded sooner but I haven't had time to pay much
attention to the list lately, unfortunately.

I had the same problem several years ago; aji amarillo was over 7
feet high and very bushy, but the flowers would fall off prematurely
and I never got any fruit.  Then someone (possibly Brent
Thompson?) suggested spraying with a weak solution of epsom
salts (about a teaspoon per gallon.)  Seems it was simply a
mineral deficiency - the next season I sprayed just after the flower
buds started appearing and I ended up with over 100 pods from the
first harvest, and nearly as many from a second harvest later in the
year.  This is from a container-grown plant!  Give it a try - I think
this is simply a C. baccatum thing.

Richard

"If we're not supposed to eat animals then
why the heck are they made out of meat?!"