Re:[CH] Shoots

Senor Chile Monger (supervisor@scudder.sbceo.k12.ca.us)
Tue, 07 Jul 1998 07:54:02 -0700

Andrew Healy wrote:

>could anyone please say if
>Carribean Hot Banana chiles take longer to germinate than Scotch Bonnets.

Andrew,

I have a small electric greehouse that I use for starting seeds.  It keeps
the soil temperature between 75-80ºF.  I started some baccatum seeds on May
18, two of which germinated in about 7 days.  I left the seedlings on the
tray of the greenhouse and put it on my light table where the two seedling
have been growing since.  I decided to start some pubescens seeds this week
(I'll overwinter them  indoors and put them out next year) so I was
cleaning up the greenhouse.  I noticed (just in time) that another baccatum
was just pushing up.  What I'm leading up to is, from my experience,
variety of chile has some bearing, vigor of each seed has some bearing,
environment has some bearing.  Not to steal any thunder from the arrival of
"The Pepper Garden", but there is an interesting section (what am I saying,
the entire book is a page-turner)on seed germination in regards to
temperature.  Good luck!

In Chiles,

Doug

* For the sake of tolerance do we tolerate the intolerable? *