Re: [CH] Thai Soup And A Question

John & Jeannie Nelson (mykidsmum@earthlink.net)
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 22:18:01 -0700

   Here is a recipe that may be close. I've not tried it, but it is from a
wonderful cookbook,  Fire And Spice by Jacki Passmore. If anyone does make
this, please let me know how it turns out.
Questions for The Australian Chile-Headers: Has anyone heard of Jacki
Passmore, and/or her International Curry Lovers Club?
Thanks
Jeannie
 *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                         Thai Coconut Chicken Soup

Recipe By     : Fire And Spice by Jacki Passmore
Categories    : *Thailand                        Soups And Stews

   2                    chicken legs
   2      cups          water
   2      stems         lemon grass -- trim & split in half
   3 1/2  cups          coconut milk -- or coconut cream
   8      slices        fresh galangal -- thinly sliced
                        OR
                        young fresh ginger -- thinly sliced
   4                    medium hot red chiles -- up to 6
                        seeds and stems removed
   2                    kaffir lime leaves -- torn in pieces
   6      ounces        chicken breasts -- up to 8 ounces
                        cut into 1/2 inch cubes
   1      cup           canned straw mushrooms -- drained and sliced
                        or
                        oyster mushrooms -- drained and sliced
                        or
                        champignons -- drained and sliced
   2                    scallions
                        white parts -- cut 3/4 inch pieces
                        green parts -- cut to garnish
   3      tablespoons   fresh squeezed lime juice -- up to 4
   3      tablespoons   fish sauce -- up to 4

*Place the chicken legs in a small saucepan and pour on the water. Add 1
stem of lemon grass slit in half lengthways. Bring to a boil and simmer for
about 15 minutes, until the chicken is tender enough to fall off the bone.
*Remove chicken legs from the broth with tongs and when cool enough to
handle, skin and debone the meat and break into small pieces. Set aside.
*Strain the broth into a large saucepan and add the coconut milk or cream,
the remaining lemon grass, and the galangal, chilies and lime leaves. Bring
barely to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer 2 to 3 minutes. Add the
cooked and the uncooked chicken and cook gently for 3 to 4 minutes.
*Add the mushrooms and scallions and cook a further 2 to 3 minutes. Season
with the lime juice and fish sauce and salt and pepper, if needed.
*Serve into bowls, add a sprig of cilantro and scatter on the scallions.
Author's Note :I like to leave the lemon grass, chili, galangal and lime
leaves in the soup, but they can be removed before serving, if you prefer.
Fire And Spice  200 Hot And Spicy Recipes From The Far East
Jacki Passmore
Macmillan 1996 isbn #0-02-860282-X

NOTES : This classic Thai coconut chicken soup is usually quite mild and
sparingly spiced. I prefer this deliciously creamy soup with a serious punch
and plenty of citrus undertones.