Re: [CH] some like it hot

Charles Demas (demas@tiac.net)
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 13:58:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 18 Jul 1998 DrBobJ2@aol.com wrote:

>   A taste for spices: has been passed down over many generations.  In hot
> climates, our ancestor; who enioyed splces  with their food were apt to live
> longer and produce more ofspring, says Sherman. "And they taught their
> offspring and others "This is how to cook a mastadon"

IIRC, chiles are a New World product, and weren't part of the foods of
Europe or Asia until after Columbus.  This means that using chiles in
the foods of Asia is not an evolutionary type thing, although the use
of other spices might be.

I think that it's more of a question of what was available, and what
was easily grown in the climate.  People everywhere have liked new
tastes, which was why Marco Polo went to China in the first place.
Well, tastes and greed about the money that could be made trading in
them.  :-)

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas