[CH] Re: Mastodon Surprise (was: some like it hot)

John Benz Fentner, Jr. (jbenz@courant.infi.net)
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 08:29:03 -0400

DrBobJ2@aol.com wrote:

> Here is an article I copied from August 98 Popular Science
>
> Some Like it Hot
>
> WHY DO PEOPLE IN THAILAND prefer spicier food than people in Sweden? It's
> because spices offer some protection against the food-spoilage bacteria that
> thrive in hot elimates, according to two biologists at Cornell University in
> Ithaca, New York.
>
>   After analyzing thousands of recipes for the traditional meat-based dishes
> of 36 countries, Jennifer Billing and Paul W. Sherman conclude that countries
> with hotter climates use spices more frequently than countries with cooler
> climates and within large countries such as the United States, the hottest
> regions have the hottest foods: Chili is a hit in San Antonio, while Chilly
> Boston tends toward clam chowder.
>
>   A taste for spices: has been passed down over many generations.  In hot
> climates, our ancestor; who enioyed splces  with their food were apt to live
> longer and produce more ofspring, says Sherman. "And they taught their
> offspring and others "This is how to cook a mastadon"
>
>  Spice World
> Not all spices are created equal. The 10 with the greatest effectlveness
> against food-spoilage bacteria are listed here.
> Garlic
> Onion
> Allspice
> Oregano
> Thyme
> Cinnamon
> Tarragon
> Cumin
> Cloves
> Lemongrass
>
> I guess this means that us CHs will live longer and produce more offspring.
> Who's got a good recipie for spiced up mastadon?

Uh huh...or maybe it's 'cause spices in general and chile peppers in particular
grow wild in hot climates so the cultures that developed there were the first to
use them and had the most opportunity to develop sophisticated hot cuisines.
Ain't a lot of indigenous wild chiles in Sweden or here in Darkest Noo England
but we're overun with wild clams. Prior to the 20th century most people had
little choice but to eat what they could grow or catch within walking distance of
home.

Spiced Mastodon Surprise

Mastodon (Mammuthus Primigenius preferred) (1)
Camelopardus  (1)
Pteranodon (1)
Archeoptyrix  (6)
Passenger Pigeon (6)
Squid (Giant) (1)
Garlic (1 ton)
Oregano (1 acre)
Black pepper (Ground,  55 Gal Drum)
Ground Chiles (1 pickup truck minimum)
Red wine (1 vat)
Habanero Peppers (6)
Pearl Onions  (6)
Bay Leaf  (1)
Red potatoes (1 dumpster)
Salt to taste

Remove meats from permafrost and thaw at room temperature for two weeks. Remove
internal organs, fur, tusks, claws, beaks, feathers, half digested Neadethals
etc. (Reserve for stock). Rub with ground chiles, garlic and black pepper and
marinate in wine for 72 hours (swimming pool is best but all chlorine shoud be
removed). Add Bay Leaf for last hour.

With a clean backhoe, dig a barbecue pit approximately 10' X 15' and 10' deep.
Line with seasoned apple wood (5'), ignite and reduce to bed of coals (2'). Cover
with 2' of seaweed or ferns.

Rub body cavity of each Pigeon with ground chiles and black pepper and insert 1
habanero pepper and 1 onion in each Pigeon. Repeat rub with each Archeoptyrix and
insert Pigeon in cavity of each. Stuff Pteranodon with prepared fowls. Stuff
Cameloardus with Pteranodon. Stuff Mastodon with Camelopardus (optional:  1 snow
shovel full of Calvin's Powder may be added at this point).

Place prepared Mastodon, potatoes and Giant Squid in barbecue pit and cover with
2' of seaweed or ferns. Cover with 2' of sand and bake for 2 days (for medium
rare).

Serve with green salad, a nice Merlot and freshly baked bread.

Serves one small nation (North of 40 degrees latitude), one small city (South of
40 degrees latitude) or six ChileHeads (Boston). Recipe not available in Southern
Hemisphere (but see Chapter 6 for Kangaroo Fondue).

JB
Thanks to the sites of the Paleo Ring (http://www.pitt.edu/~mattf/PaleoRing.html)
for their assistance with this recipe.
--