Re: [CH] Re: Mastodon Surprise (was: some like it hot)/OFF TOPIC

lukasz (lukasz@midcoast.com.au)
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 22:34:09 +1000

John Benz Fentner, Jr. wrote:
Black pepper (Ground,  55 Gal Drum)****************************
- Intact Peppercorns would impart Less of a Muddy flavour !!
> Ground Chiles (1 pickup truck minimum)
> Red wine (1 vat)*******************
- + 1 vat for the chef !!
> Habanero Peppers (6)*******************
For the serious members of this list this Quantity should be
doubled ..!
> Pearl Onions  (6)
> Bay Leaf  (1)
> Red potatoes (1 dumpster)
> Salt to taste
>
> Remove meats from permafrost and thaw at room temperature for two weeks. Remove
> internal organs, fur, tusks, claws, beaks, feathers, half digested Neadethals
> etc. (Reserve for stock). Rub with ground chiles, garlic and black pepper and
> marinate in wine for 72 hours (swimming pool is best but all chlorine shoud be
> removed). Add Bay Leaf for last hour.
>
> With a clean backhoe, dig a barbecue pit approximately 10' X 15' and 10' deep.
> Line with seasoned apple wood (5'), ignite and reduce to bed of coals (2'). Cover
> with 2' of seaweed or ferns.
>
> Rub body cavity of each Pigeon with ground chiles and black pepper and insert 1
> habanero pepper and 1 onion in each Pigeon. Repeat rub with each Archeoptyrix and
> insert Pigeon in cavity of each. Stuff Pteranodon with prepared fowls. Stuff
> Cameloardus with Pteranodon. Stuff Mastodon with Camelopardus (optional:  1 snow
> shovel full of Calvin's Powder may be added at this point).
REMEMBER THE OLD CHILE-HEAD ADDAGE - MORE IS BETTER
> Place prepared Mastodon, potatoes and Giant Squid in barbecue pit and cover with
> 2' of seaweed or ferns. Cover with 2' of sand and bake for 2 days (for medium
> rare).
>
> Serve with green salad, a nice Merlot and freshly baked bread.
NOTE ,, a nice merlot does not give this dish the degree of
accompaniment it deserves ..
My suggestions ; would be a Beaune for the Pigeon portion.
A Pouilly-Blanc-Fume for the Giant Squid .{A Powerful Rose like
Tavel or Chusclam, possibly Bellet may be substituted} If one
feels the Ton of garlic is overpowering ........
and a Full Bodied Clos de Vougeot or a Musigny for the Mastadon
The Seaweed/ferns and salad  Gave me lots of trouble But I rose
to the Occasion and decided a Still -  Non Carbonated water was
called for, and if one really felt the urge a White Muscat
d'Alsace, or a Amontillado sherry if one was feeling really
Decadent .
one small nation (North of 40 degrees latitude), one small city
(South of
> 40 degrees latitude) or six ChileHeads (Boston). Recipe not available in Southern
> Hemisphere (but see Chapter 6 for Kangaroo Fondue).
*Luke in Oz kindly requests Chapter 6
And in the Venacular  IN VINO VERITAS - HOWZAT