Re: Martha S. -- [CH] Digest V4 #503

Jesse Guadiana (jguad1@mer.cioe.com)
Sun, 26 Jul 1998 23:58:53 -0500

Chile-Heads Digest wrote:
> Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 16:01:53 -0500
> From: Judy Howle <howle@ebicom.net>
> Subject: [CH] Martha's Quesadillas
>
> I caught Martha Stewart's show Fri. and she was grilling quesadillas.
> Typically Martha, they use some unusual ingredients, such as SARDINES and
> CHUTNEY, but other than that, they looked pretty good.

Judy & CHers,

*Some* unusual ingredients? YIPES! The bizarre array of ingredients on
her list will scare away most, if not all, entry-level quesadilla fans.

I -strongly- suggest corn tortillas ("they call it maize"), as flour
tortillas toast WAY too quickly.

Chihuahua cheese most closely resembles Muenster cheese, not Monterey
jack; personally I think MJack has too much of a sharp bite, I think.

Why brush a tortilla with oil? They ain't gyros; Sounds like a
suggestion from the olive oil syndicate. This would change the flavor
BIG TIME, IMHO.

For ingredients, stick to cheese, just about -any- chile and/or 'bell'
peppers and/or your favorite salsa, and some onions. CH powders are
optional, I guess; Concentrating efforts on chopped or roasted/peeled or
WHATEVER'ed chiles will yield better CH results in the end.

And use a griddle. MUCH easier than firin' up a grill.

1.Warm 2 or 3 tortillas on medium heat until "foldable."
2.Put yer STUFF in 'em, and fold each in half.
3.Heat both sides 'til they reach your desired level of crunchiness,
cheese-melt level, etc.

4.Repeat until you reach critical mass of quesadillas , as only 1/2/3
tortillas fit on a griddle at any one time.

Now -that's- a good thing.

Hasta la lista,
Jesse G. / CH1200
jguad1@mer.cioe.com