RE: Martha S. -- [CH] Digest V4 #503

Bloechl, Sharen Rund (sharen.rund.bloechl@lmco.com)
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 08:54:49 -0700

I prefer flour torts - if you're having a problem with them burning:
*	lower the heat a bit - they won't toast too quick
*	put a lid over it (just like grilled cheese sandwiches!) - the lid
from a fry pan works great

> Chihuahua cheese most closely resembles Muenster cheese, not Monterey
> jack; personally I think MJack has too much of a sharp bite, I think.

imo - MJack is not too sharp, but
*	there are a number of good tasting white cheeses you can use
depending on the flavor you want
*	also, you can add some yellow cheeses like mild cheddar - I like to
use a blend

> Why brush a tortilla with oil? They ain't gyros; Sounds like a
> suggestion from the olive oil syndicate. This would change the flavor
> BIG TIME, IMHO.

I agree on this, but its not necessarily because of any change to the flavor
- its because with the amount of lard in a tort you don't need any more
oil...B-)

> For ingredients, stick to cheese, just about -any- chile and/or 'bell'
> peppers and/or your favorite salsa, and some onions. CH powders are
> optional, I guess; Concentrating efforts on chopped or roasted/peeled or
> WHATEVER'ed chiles will yield better CH results in the end.

you can add in meat too, any leftover beef, pork, poultry - cut it into
bitesized pieces, and garlic

> And use a griddle. MUCH easier than firin' up a grill.

or a big fry pan

> 1.Warm 2 or 3 tortillas on medium heat until "foldable."
> 2.Put yer STUFF in 'em, and fold each in half.
> 3.Heat both sides 'til they reach your desired level of crunchiness,
> cheese-melt level, etc.
>
> 4.Repeat until you reach critical mass of quesadillas , as only 1/2/3
> tortillas fit on a griddle at any one time.

these can also be nuked -

great for work: I like to take the torts, add the ingredients (I use a fork
to help drain the salsa as much as possible, or bring it along and add just
before nuking) - put them on a plate & nuke them -
NOTE: your choice here: put the torts on a plate (two folded ones fit nicely
on a plate) then either nuke them half time uncovered, flip them & nuke them
the rest of the time (till cheese melts); or loosely wrap with paper
toweling - this will be more moist or flexible than the first way

Enjoy!

> Now -that's- a good thing.
>
> Hasta la lista,
> Jesse G. / CH1200
> jguad1@mer.cioe.com

Sharen Rund Bloechl

Lockheed Martin Enterprise Information Systems
Sunnyvale Data Center
sharen.rund_bloechl@lmco.com        Phone: 408-756-5432
[or]                                Fax:   408-756-0912
srund@svl.ems.lmco.com              LMnet: 8-326-5432
Pager: 408-539-5146  web:  http://webpager.lmms.lmco.com/perl/mtrocall.cgi