Re: [CH] indoor chiles

Richard A. Williams (croaker@earthlink.net)
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 00:25:23 -0700

Brett Skinner wrote:

> Does anyone know of an interesting-looking, or good-tasting chile that
> tolerates lower light conditions or even does well indoors?
>
> I have a decent gro-light setup, and a few skylights, in zone 8
> california.  Just think it would be pretty swell to have a pet that
> doesn't bark too loudly or keep get inside fences.....durn basset
> hound!!
>
> Thanks, Brett

Depends on how much space you have. If you have a lotta space, try the
Fatali version of the hab. They do well in containers, are very aphid
resistant and the fruit is impressively hot, hotter than the standard
orange hab, IMO. They can get to be 3.5 to 4 feet tall and quite bushy,
given sufficient light.

For smaller plants, try: Bolivian Rainbow, Thai, Bulgarian Carrot,
Rooster Spur, etc. This winter I'm gonna try the B.C.,and pirira or
purira. (Seen it spelled both ways)

My outdoor crop is doing quite well, due to a spell of hot dry weather,
rather uncommon in the Seattle area. Just two varieties this year, Black
Cayman habs, and tabasco's. The tabs have fruit sprouting wildly, and
the habs are just now setting flower, those that survived The Attack of
the Monster Slugs.

Speaking of which, keep your Basset away from the young plants, or he'll
eat them. I'm speaking from sad experience here...

Richard