Re: [CH] Free habs

Shane Schmidt (sschmidt@fido.mm.uky.edu)
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 14:59:34 -0400

Suz wrote:

> Took a trip to my local nursery this morning, needing some hab plants to
> supplement mine which seem to be stunted and stressed, producing pea-sized
> fruit.  They had quite a few pepper plants of all varieties.  I picked three
> fairly good-looking habs, and mentioned to the owner that his didn't look
> much better than mine, and that some of his were also showing signs of being
> eating by some sort of creature.
>
> He looked at them, said he had no idea what might be eating them.  "Take
> them free" he said.  "Go get some more, it's time to get rid of them
> anyway."  :)))
>
> Not being greedy, I only took 5 more hab plants.  But I'm thinking I'll go
> back tomorrow and get a bunch of the other varieties also.  I'll offer to
> pay for them.  If he insists, tho .... gee, and I'm running out of garden
> space.
>
> Question ... do I pick the tiny pea-sized habs?  They're orange.  Will they
> grow larger?  Last year they didn't turn orange until they were a good size.
>
> My japenos look GREAT!  Especially the ones that got the leaves all eaten
> off earlier this year.  The other peppers are coming along fairly well now
> too.
>
> The mysterious fruit tree question has been partially solved.  One variety
> seems to be red plum.  The jury is still out on the other.  The fruit is
> taking longer to ripen and the tree bark is a different color.
>
> Anyone want free plumbs?  What do I do with several hundred plums?
>
>      ("`-'-/").___..--''"`-._           Suz,
>       `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)  aka
>       (_Y_.)'  ._   )  `._ `. ``-..-'   the katj
>     _..`--'_..-_/  /--'_.' ,'
>    (il),-''  (li),'  ((!.-'
>
> sitting in SoCal, munching on maters, waiting for the habs and plumbs to
> ripen.  Gonna be a good chile season after all.

Suz, I too have stunted habs.  I have no idea as to why other than being
stressed from the slugs stripping the leaves earlier in the season.
Interestingly, my Jalapenos are awesome this year and the Cayennes are
fairing well too but the little slimy guys didn't get them.  So, if
anyone has any ideas about what's going on...please contribute your
knowledge!!

I'm jealous...free peppers...what a deal!

Shane