Re: [CH] Free habs

The Old Bear (oldbear@arctos.com)
Sun, 02 Aug 1998 08:59:55 -0400

In Chile-Heads Digest, v.5 #2, Rich McCormack wrote:

| Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 06:31:46 -0700
| From: Rich McCormack <macknet@cts.com>
| Subject: Re: [CH] Free habs
|
| A couple of years ago, I was "blessed" with an over abundance
| of very ripe plums . . .  I purreed 'em along with a generous
| number of pickled habaneros, some of the pickling vinegar,
| minced onion, crushed garlic, miscellaneous herbs and spices,
| and whatever else I could think of that sounded good.  The
| result was awesome, a deep ruby red sauce with little orange,
| almost iridescent looking, flecks of habanero chile floating
| about.  I named it Scarlet Beauty.   . . . but when it was gone,
| that was it.  I didn't keep track of all that when into the mix
| and have never been able to reproduce it to my satisfaction.

Like the lost plays of Aeschylus, like the wisdom destroyed in
the burning of the great library at Alexandria, like the secrets
of the early Minoans, we mortals only can mourn these tragedies
by which the heritage of our shared humanity is diminished.

And, with solemnity, we intone together: Sic transit gloria mundi.

Cheers,
The Old Bear