Re: [CH] MUSTARD

John Benz Fentner, Jr. (jbenz@courant.infi.net)
Mon, 03 Aug 1998 10:24:49 -0400

Rich McCormack wrote:

> The Old Bear wrote:
>
> > Now, does anyone know why New Englanders call the pungent and
> > greenish 'liver' found in a lobster the 'tomalley' and whether or
> > not this has anything to do with the Mexican corn-wrapped and
> > chile-filled 'tomale'?
>
> As a lover of the tamal in all it's glorious variety (including a
> few personal variations I call my own)...I wish I hadn't read that.

I sumitted the Bear's queries to Michael Quinion at World Wide Words and
got this reply today:

In the absence of confirmatory evidence I suspect the connection
between 'muster' and 'mustard' to be a folk etymology. As to the
lobster, it is said that the term derives from a Carib word, having
been so recorded by one J Davies, in "The History of the Caribby
Islands", published in 1666.
<<

JB
--