Re: [CH] Salsa recipe

David Wright (dtwright@texas.net)
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 14:02:26 -0500 (CDT)

At 10:50 AM 8/4/98 -0400, casey marion wrote:
>Does anyone have a decent salsa recipe for a who usually doesn't cook?
>I need like a "Salsa for Kindergardners'", or something similar.
>I'll be using fresh habs, serranos, and jalepenos and an unknown little,
>almost round, pepper that popped up out of what I thought was sage.
>It's almost as hot as the habs!
>Thanks in advance,
>Casey

Here are two pretty easy ones.

Heat a heavy (preferably cast iron) skillet roast some tomatoes, an onion,
some garlic cloves and your chiles until they are black all over, or nearly
so. Let the veggies cool and plop them into a food processor along with
some salt and some coarsley-chopped cilantro. Pulse until the mixture is
the consistency you like. I like to process the chiles first to be sure
they're well chopped before adding the other veggies -- the other things go
faster than the chiles do.

If you like a somewhat tart salsa, cook some tomatillos (after removing the
husk) and some chiles in boiling water for about five minutes until the
tomatillos are soft. When cool, process these along with some onion and
garlic (roasted or not, your choice), and some salt and cilantro. Again, if
you do the chiles first they'll be nicely chopped.

Both will last a few days in the fridge. I guess, anyway. Around here they
don't get the chance.

HTH,
David