Re: [CH] Chile Pepper Magazine

The Old Bear (oldbear@arctos.com)
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 09:11:18 -0400

In Chile-Heads Digest, v.5 #11, Jim Campbell wrote:

>Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 06:36:38 +0000
>From: Jim Campbell <jim@wildpepper.com>
>Subject: Re: [CH] Chile Pepper Magazine
>
>Chile Pepper Magazine did not ever 'go under'.  It was sold by Robert
>Speigel to Magnolia Media Group and the offices were moved from
>Albuquerque, NM to Ft. Worth, TX.  The original editor of the mag (Dave
>DeWitt) declined their offer of employment and has since started up a
>competing industry targeted mag.  The folks at Chile Pepper do not seem
>to be very 'web aware'.  Having worked shows produced by both Sunbelt
>(Fiery Foods Show) and Chile Pepper Mag though, I can tell you that
>there is no comparison as to who the nicest, friendliest, people are.
>The folks at Chile Pepper win hands down, IMHO, although I too preferred
>the magazines old format better.  Standard disclaimers....
>
>- -Jim C
>MWPH

Thanks for setting the record straigt, Jim.  I was about to post
this information when I saw that you had beaten me to it.

There seems to be a lot of confusion on this subject.  In fact,
Dave DeWitt has a web page titled "Setting the Record Straight" at

It's odd that Magnolia Media does not use the web as an adjunct
to the magazine.  They don't even have an email address, as far
as I can tell.  But they do run a regular column in the magazine
about chile-related web sites.

Interestingly, Magnolia also publishes "Pet Life" which has an
extensive web site at URL: < http://www.petlifeweb.com >.

Could it be that Speigel did not sell Magnolia the electronic
rights when they acquired the print magazine?  I don't know, but
I'd suspect that there is more here than meets the eye.

Cheers,
The Old Bear