re: [CH] Bajan Pepper Sauces

The Old Bear (oldbear@arctos.com)
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 02:29:56 -0400

In Chile-Heads Digest, v.5 #17, Randy wrote:

>Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 17:58:47 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Randy <rock4u@rocketmail.com>
>Subject: [CH] Bajan Pepper Sauces
>
>Howdy!
>
>I have beside me two bottles.  Aunt May's Red Pepper Sauce and Aunt
>May's Bajan Pepper Sauce.  The first is peppers, onions, carrotts,
>vinegar, etc. with the usual secret Barbados spices.  The other is the
>same but mustard based.  Both are great! They come in 340 gram bottles
>and no little holes in the bottle top to rip out.  A friend brought
>some from Barbados - I have an address and phone number - might have
>to see what it would take to get a shipment!
>
>Aunt May's Food Products
>Black Rock, St. Micheal
>Barbados, West Indes
>Tele/Fax 809-424-3767
>
>No affiliation, just a good product a chilehead could appreciate

Having just returned from my local hot sauce connection -- i.e.,
Marshall's off-price department store -- I am in possession of
one 5-ounce (148 ml) bottle of "The Brutal Bajan" imported from
Garden Row Foods in Franklin Park, Illinois.  :)

Possibly not as authentic, but quite tolerable for a Habanero
based hot sauce with mustard, onion, garlic, turmeric and
paprika as the complementing spices.

As with most of the hot sauces at Marshall's, one can't complain
about the price: $1.99

Of course, a trip to Barbados would be more fun.

Cheers,
The Old Bear

PS: My thanks to the Chilehead on this list who first mentioned
the fact that Marshalls carries these kind of things in their
gourmet food department.  I had always thought of them as only
a clothing store.