Re: [CH] Why Dry?

Anne Lafond-Walker (alafwalk@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu)
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 13:38:35 -0400

>Hi Steve....
>    Both drying and freezing are fine ways to preserve your precious crop.
>I see the difference as what you want to do with the peppers later.  When
>dried, they can be crumbled into very fine particles which infuses the
>flavor through a dish you might be making, such as a smooth taco sauce or
>spaghetti sauce,something where you don't want lumps of pepper or other
>veggies evident.  Freezing causes the cells of the plant, which are filled
>with water, to expand and burst.  That means the thawed pepper will be soft
>and mushy.  You can chop them into medium pieces, saute or add to things
>such as chile and cooked salsas but the flavor isn't as well distributed
>IMHO.  I do both...the freezer is stocked with roasted peppers than I dole
>out during the winter months and my cupboard has several types dried and
>crushed.  The only thing I haven't yet tried is grinding them into powder.
>
>        SandyO
>        CH 1146, of the moderate persuasion

To add to what SandyO wrote:

Thin walled peppers are easier to dry than thick walled ones; I freeze the
thick walled ones such as serranos and chop them while frozen to use in
Thai dishes ect.....  When drying peppers try smoking them first, then
crush them for chipotle flakes.  I also grind non smoked dried peppers to
sprinkle on pizza, casseroles, or grilling stuff to give a zip when needed.
An Island dish?  Try ground habs, A Mexican dish? Try chipotle, Pizza? Try
dried ground barvarain carrot chiles or hot Portugal .......You get the
idea and I'm getting hungry.
Anne