Re: [CH] want recipe for stuffed jalapenos

Tantrika (hummer13@earthlink.net)
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 22:01:34 -0700

T wrote:

> Does anyone have a recipe for Stuffed Jalapenos?
>
> Any other ideas what to do with them fresh other than salsas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom
Hi Tom,
Here is a recipe for Jalapenos stuffed with crab that I really like. It
can be found on my web page(link below)

								Recipe #61

	Crabby Poppers
	(Crab Stuffed Jalapenos)
	Recipe by Tarheel Steve

	INGREDIENTS

	Stuffing

	1 lb Cooked crab meat, drained
	1/4 cup Celery, chopped
	1/2 cup Onions, chopped
	1/2 cup Green chiles, chopped
	1 tbs Fresh garlic, minced
	3 tbs Vegetable oil or bacon grease
	1 1/2 cups Bread crumbs
	3 Eggs, beaten
	1 tbs Cilantro, chopped
	1 tsp Fresh ground black pepper
	2 tsp Salt

	Jalapenos

	About 30 Fresh Jalapeno chiles with stems on
	1 cup Flour
	2 cups Seasoned bread crumbs
	1 tsp Salt
	1/2 tsp Black Pepper
	2 Eggs beaten with a little water
	Oil for deep frying

	PREPARATION

	Stuffing

	Heat oil or grease in a heavy pan over medium heat.

	Saute celery, onions, green chiles, and garlic until tender; set aside.

	Combine bread crumbs, eggs, cilantro, salt, and black pepper.

	Add crab meat and cooked vegetebles and mix well.

	Jalapenos

	Rinse chiles well.

	With a sharp knife or razor blade, make a "T" shaped cut across,
	just below the stem, and down one side.

	Carefully remove the seeds and membrane.

	Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil.

	Using a sieve or collander, blanch the chiles, in batches if
	necessary, in the boiling water for 3 minutes and immediately
	immerse them in cold water to stop the cooking.

	Drain chiles on a towel.

	Put enough stuffing in the chile to just be able to close the cuts.

	Place the chiles on a sheet pan when stuffed.

	When all the chiles are on the pan, spray them with a light coat of
vegetable oil spray, turning once.

	Mix the salt and black pepper in with the flour and put it on a plate.

	Roll each popper in the flour, dip it in the egg mixture, roll it in
the bread 	crumbs and return it to the pan.

	Deep fry, 3 or 4 at a time, in hot oil (375-385 degrees F.) until
golden brown, 	turning as necessary.

	Drain on paper towels.

	Serve warm or freeze to be reheated when wanted.

Steve Tanner
Tarheel Steve's Pots, Pans, & Poetry
http://www.ioa.com/home/stanner
Da Firecracker Chilly Page