Re: [CH] Kosher Salt (was: Here it is - Tabasco recipe)

The Old Bear (oldbear@arctos.com)
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 10:55:54 -0400

In ChileHeads' Digest, v.5 #24, Kath Hodgson wrote:

>Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 17:34:17 +0100
>From: Kath Hodgson <kath@kandk.demon.co.uk>
>Subject: RE: [CH] Here it is - Tabasco recipe
>
>Sounds ideal for using some of my Hab glut - just one question,
>what is 'Kosher salt' ?
>
>Kath.

It is a coarse-grained version of ordinary table salt, having
the same chemical composition (NaCl - sodium chloride) but with
larger, irregularly shaped crystals.  It is commonly sold in US
supermarkets along side ordinary salt, coming in rectangular
cardboard boxes rather than the familar cardboard cylinder used
for table salt.

It is called kosher salt because it is used in the preparation of
meat by Jews who observe the traditional kosher dietary laws.

You can see a very interesting photograph of a grain of kosher
salt on the web at < http://www.mos.org/sln/sem/ksalt.html >.
This photo (from the Museum of Science in Boston) is at 75x
magnification.  As you probably know, salt has a cubic crystal
shape.  A grain of kosher salt is composed of many cubes stuck
together in an irregular shape.  With its larger surface area, it
can absorb more moisture than a similarly-sized cubic salt crystal.
This is why it is used in curing meats (a process which involves
absorbing the blood from the raw meat) and in the preparation of
vegetables like eggplant (aubergine) or chiles where the process
involves removing excess water from the vegetable.

Note that kosher salt is much smaller in grain than rock salt.  Rock
salt is used for melting snow and ice on roadways and for depressing
the freezing temperature of the ice brine used in home-style ice
cream making.

Here is a recipe which uses kosher salt to absorb excess moisture
from the shrimp:

   Super Hot Rock 'n Roll Rock Shrimp
   ----------------------------------

   Ingredients for the Shrimp:

       1 1/2 lbs    raw rock shrimp
           2 Tbsp   kosher salt
         1/2 cup    dry white wine
           2        egg whites, beaten
           4 cloves garlic, minced
           1 Tbsp   sambal chili paste
           1        scallion, thinly sliced
                    salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste
         1/4 cup    fine corn meal
         1/2 cup    cornstarch
         1/2 tsp    dried thyme
         1/4 tsp    salt
         1/2 tsp    cayenne pepper
           1 tsp    paprika
         1/2 tsp    freshly ground black pepper
                    peanut oil for frying

   Ingredients for the Sauce:

         1/2        English cucumber, chopped
         4-6        fresh mint leaves
                    juice and zest of 1 lemon
         1-2        jalapeno peppers, seeded
           2 tsp    sugar
           1 tsp    kosher salt
         1/8 cup    rice vinegar
         1/2 cup    peanut oil

   Directions:

       1. Rinse shrimp with cold water, place in a mixing bowl
          and mix well with the kosher salt.  Cover and
          refrigerate for 20 minutes.

       2. Combine the egg whites with the garlic, chili paste,
          scallions and white wine.

       3. Rinse shrimp well to remove the salt, pat dry; combine
          with the egg white mixture and set aside.

       4. In a large mixing bowl, combine the corn meal, corn
          starch, thyme, salt, cayenne, paprika and black pepper.

       5. Roll the shrimp in the cornmeal mixture, making sure
          each is well coated.  Refrigerate until use.

       6. Combine the sauce ingredients in a food processor or
          blender and blend until smooth.

       7. Heat 3 to 4 inches of peanut oil in a large, heavy
          skillet to a temperature of 365-375°F.

       8. Fry the shrimp in small batches for 1-1 1/2 minutes,
          turning once to color and cook evenly.

       9. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well on paper
          towels.  Pile the rock shrimp on a platter and serve
          with sauce and lemon wedges.

                          source: WTBS Superstation
                                  'Dinner and a Movie' Recipe

Remember, like everything else you read on the internet, be sure
to take all this with grain of salt.  ;)

Cheers,
The Old Bear