Re: [CH] Rather nice hotsauce found in London

Inagaddadavida (rael@ebicom.net)
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 18:07:11 -0500

Twas Writ:
>J.B Cattley wrote:
>> Also found lime powder, made from ground-up whole dried limes. Holy
>> smokes,
>> what a flavour!
>This sounds interesting. My Lime tree is dropping dozens of limes to rot
>on the ground.
>Any ideas how to dry them easily?

Hmmm...that's an interesting idea indeed...'specially if one can actually
get a decent "real" flavor of lime from a dried product.  Would be quite
nice to dump some "lime powder" into a salsa...beats having to go out and
buy a lime or two (for us poor folks who ain't got no lime tree...which
must be a really nice thing to have around the yard...I'm ramblin'...)

Anywho, I'd imagine that the lime powder was not actually made from *whole*
limes, but the rind, just as candied orange peel and the like.  I'm
guessing here, but if I had a plethora o' limes sitting about, I'd peel a
dozen or so, trying to get only the peel and not the
rind/white/pithy/whatever stuff...just the green.  May be easiest to
quarter or "6th" the limes and separate the innards from the peel...may
have to make up a huge batch of salsa (or fresh squeeze some lime juice for
lime-aid or a buttload of killer "lime-aritas" if one partakes of the Vine
of the Worm..) to use up the innards...or some lime chicken...something.
Anywho, dry the peel in a dehydrator or low, low-heat stove, and then grind
it up in a processor.  Probably will be quite tart so you may have to add a
sweetener...or maybe not...imagine white refined sugar or blonde/unrefined
sugar would do dandy tho, if needed.

Well...just thinkin' out loud here...if you attempt the above, I'd luv to
hear 'bout the results...

Peace, Hendrix, and Chiles.......

Rael"...where's Martha 'Babe' S....she'd know, I betchya..."64

Mississippi Redneck
Monk of the TCS
Order of Immaculate Twister
Keeper of the Faith