Re: [CH] Words of Wisdom?

Richard A. Williams (croaker@earthlink.net)
Sat, 29 Aug 1998 00:28:11 -0700

Suz wrote:

> Hi Gang,
>
> Habs are growing nicely.  Anaheims are doing well.  Jalapeņos are abundant.
> Even the free hab plants that I got from the nursery a few weeks ago have
> started producing those wonderful orange fruit.  And humongous  Hungarian
> peppers!!  Very sweet.  Several other varieties are coming right along.
>
> I gave in, and bought a box of disposal plastic gloves.  Turning into a wimp
> maybe, but it may save the skin on my hands and fingers.
>
> The dehydrator has been working overtime and I have some baggies of dried
> peppers ready for the new (cheap) coffee grinder.  I've never done the
> grinding part.  I need some advice!  Any words of wisdom for a novice pepper
> grinder?  I plan to grind quite a few, and maybe toss in some dried
> nectarine slices. (I THINK they are nectarines, but not really sure what the
> fruit is from those trees yet).
>
> Anyway, forgive the rambling, what I want/need is to know how to grind up
> these peppers and survive with a good powder.
>
> TIA

Well, first things first. Get an extension cord and do your grinding
outside. If you grind them inside, when you open the lid you have just
detonated an olfactory thermonuclear weapon. Forget cocaine, a snort of
hab dust is the ultimate head rush. You only do it once, though. Unless
you're a lot tougher than I am...

Make sure that your peppers are <very> dry, shake the grinder while
grinding, and grind to the desired texture. It's pretty difficult to
mess it up, unless you cram too many peppers in at once.

Umm, what else. Oh yeah, grind the mild peppers first, then move up the
heat scale. Do the habs last, otherwise your sweet pepper powder will
have a surprising kick to it.

Some people say that you can clean the grinder by grinding rice, didn't
work for me. My coffee the next day was...interesting.

Richard