Re: [CH] "artificial" pollination with brush

Doug Irvine (dirvin@bc.sympatico.ca)
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 19:40:48 -0700

Robert Farr, Chile Man wrote:

> Hello, y'all.
>
> I talked to the owner of an Apiary this week, and he said that the insecticide
> is...a no-pest strip, dropped down on  a string into the hive!
>
> He changes them every couple of weeks.
>
> At least it's something!!
>
> R.
Hi again...seeing as I got into this bee problem thing today, I have
given a few of the posts to my resident bee-keeper, and he has told me
that he had to construct a special hive layer, where he places the
"medicine" as he calls it, that kills the mites, both kinds, and that it
costs him about fifty bucks a year, hopefully he passes it on to his
customers where he lodges his bees, for pollination. The honey that his
bees produce is superb, and even me, a diabetic, snitches a little bit
now and then!! And I have put it in some of my chile recipes which call
for sugar, although, to a diabetic,sugar is sugar, is sugar, regardless
of what produces it...Now let us not start another thread, about how
honey is NOT refined sugar...this is a pile of horse pucky...sugar is
sugar is sugar to a diabetic! And that is the absolute truth, for when I
was a young man, eons ago, I worked at the University of Toronto, for
Dr. Charlie Best, yeah, that one, who with Frederick Banting and Dr.
McLeod, discovered insulin, isolated it and injected it into a dog whose
pancreas had been removed, keeping him alive until he finally died
naturally of old age! I worked in the same lab, with a picture of the
dog on the wall, with those two gentlemen, taken up on the roof of the
Medical building in Toronto, where I used to go and sunbathe every lunch
hour...Cheers, Doug in BC
Sorta of topic, sorry about that