Re: [CH] San Juan, Costa Rica

Stephen Tanner (SBahrd@a-o.com)
Wed, 02 Sep 1998 09:55:55 -0400

Cameron Begg wrote:

> Hi C-H's,
>
> I have a friend there now. Any information regarding produce markets and
> types of C.s available would be gratefully received.
>
>                      Regards,               Cameron.

Hi Camero,

Like most Latin American cities, San Jose has a large(about a city
block) central market consisting of numerous stalls selling just about
anything known to man. The produce stalls all seem to handle a large
variety of FRESH chiles. I suspect that if a particular chile is not on
display, one of the vendors could certainly get it for you in a day's
time. However, since there are so many vendors in the market, it might
take you more than a day to find the right vendor.;{)

San Jose is a beautiful and very friendly city and the central market in
the middle of downtown San Jose is one of the largest and cleanest in
all of Latin America. It would literally take a week to see it all and
even then you would probably miss something. It is open 24 hrs a day and
seems to be busy at all hours.

If I am not mistaken, San Juan is located about 1 hr out of San Jose so
it should not pose a problem for your friend to make it to the market.
If it is a problem, I am sure that San Juan has it's own central market
and that they probably handle a variety of chiles as well.

Have a nice day,
--
Steve Tanner
Tarheel Steve's Pots, Pans, & Poetry