Re: [CH] A Couple of things

John Benz Fentner, Jr. (jbenz@courant.infi.net)
Sun, 06 Sep 1998 03:18:56 -0400

Ed Calvert wrote:

> 1. I asked a while ago, but didn't see any answer: Has anybody evers
> seen/tried AJI AMAZONA ?
> Made ?, but imported by Blue Parrot distribs. A product of Columbia,
> containing: Red Amazon Peppers,Vinegar,salt. What would those peppers be?
> HOT!

There are at least two Aji Amazona sauces:

Salsa Verde Picante (Green Hot Sauce) ingredients "Green Amazon Peppers,
Vinegar, salt". Light green color, smooth, medium consistency, no
separation, no chunks. A bit salty (fine by me, I'm a salt freak).
Moderate, back of the tongue, burn. I use it with seafood. Add a shot to
the melted butter with clams, mussels, scallops, lobster etc. Makes a
nice dip for fried 'gator too. :)

Salsa Roja Picante (Red Hot Sauce, Ingredients: Red Amazon Peppers,
Vinegar, salt).  Bright red color, otherwise same consistency as the
Green. Moderate to fairly hot, front of the tongue burn similar to a
cayenne sauce. Use it like you would any Loosyanna hot sauce. My wife
makes a baked chicken & rice and tomato thing that's very tasty but
bland.  Few shots of Aji Red fixes it right up.  Makes for an
interesting Bloody Mary too. :)

This stuff is fairly hard to come by. I think "Peppers" in Delaware
carries it. I found both in a little IGA store in the wilds of Canton,
Connecticut which is the functional equivalent of running into Meryl
Streep buying a dog license in the Town Hall (I did that last month).

JB
--
John Benz Fentner, Jr.