Re: [CH] Good bugs or bad bugs?

Tantrika (hummer13@earthlink.net)
Wed, 09 Sep 1998 11:02:15 -0700

Don't don't don't jump to conclusions!  Ladybugs *do* come in yellow and
orange as well as red.  I did a LOT of research on ladybugs last night, and
the only way we are REALLY gonna know is if there's a picture of the bug
available.  There are over 5000 varieties of ladybugs, Brent.  And some of
them ARE yellow.

In the meantime I suggest that our friend buys some red ladybugs and
releases them in her garden.  Maybe some praying mantises as well!

At 09:15 AM 9/9/98 -0700, you wrote:
>> They are flying (beatles mayhaps?) kinda similar to ladybugs in shape,
>> but yellow with black spots.
>
>These are almost certainly Diabrotica, a bad bug -- a very bad bug.  I
>believe the main damage caused by adults is concentrated on flowers and/or
>fruits, causing deformation or abortion.  So we don't want them around our
>gardens.  From what I read, the larvae are perhaps a bigger pest, but
>attack roots hence cause damage indirectly through decreased plant vigor.
>Anyway, it's the adults which commercial fruit growers in California are
>concerned about (maybe the larvae don't dig deep enough to affect tree
>roots much, just deep enough to eat vegetable roots :-) ).
>
>Diabrotica is the genus name, which is the name commonly used in the
>agricultural community in California -- though it seems it is sometimes
>also called by "common names" including Spotted Cucumber Beetle and
>Southern Corn Rootworm (the larvae, in this latter case of course).
>Diabrotica is usually described as yellowish-green with black spots, and as
>mentioned is about the size and shape of a ladybug (though head maybe
>sticks out a bit further than a ladybug's).
>

>Ladybugs are red, or some related color (red, red-orange, orange,
>brownish-maroon nearing black, etc.), and have varying numbers of spots,
>from only 2 (or even zero?) to at least 11 or 12.  Ladybugs are never green
>or yellow.
>
>Leave the red/orange/brown/black ones alone.  Get rid of the yellow-green
>ones.
>
> ---   Brent

Unrepentant Chili Lover
Tantrika
Some like it hot!

new webpage devoted to chilis soon under the directory
http://www.brainboutique.com/joyw/chili

not there yet :)