RE: [CH] chile tofu?

Bloechl, Sharen Rund (sharen.rund.bloechl@lmco.com)
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 10:40:28 -0700

I was invited to a dinner where they took tofu squares, made a slice in the
side and inserted meat (a cooked & seasoned pork), then deep fried the tofu
till golden & crisp - this was served with a light dipping sauce

Why not insert some chilies instead of the meat???

Sharen Rund Bloechl

Lockheed Martin Enterprise Information Systems
Sunnyvale Data Center
 <mailto:sharen.rund_bloechl@lmco.com> sharen.rund_bloechl@lmco.com
Phone: 408-756-5432
[or]                                Fax:   408-756-0912
 <mailto:srund@svl.ems.lmco.com> srund@svl.ems.lmco.com              LMnet:
8-326-5432
Pager: 408-539-5146  web:
<http://webpager.lmms.lmco.com/perl/mtrocall.cgi>
http://webpager.lmms.lmco.com/perl/mtrocall.cgi
[or] Operator Assist:  1-800-725-5079, pin 408-539-5146

	----------
	From:  Pieters, Rob (NL01)
[SMTP:Rob.Pieters@Netherlands.honeywell.com]
	Sent:  Thursday, September 10, 1998 9:28 AM
	To:  chile-heads@globalgarden.com; Michael C. Rush
	Subject:  RE: [CH] chile tofu?

	> -Michael wrote
	>
	> Had a funny notion today when I saw someone in line in front of me
	> buying tofu...has anyone ever experimented with soaking tofu in
some
	> sort of chile-laden solution to give it some character?  I have no
idea
	> how well this might work, but it sounds interesting.

	Tofu is e very good meat replacer.
	Just divide it in sizes you like, bake it first, and use instead of
meat.
	This is what we do with it when we use it, my experience is that it
is best
	to replace beef in recipes you want to make for vegetarians, or if
you want
	to go for a meatless day...

	Never tried to marinade it in a chili sauce or powder, but as it
works for
	meat I think it will work for tofu, only it's can suck up more of
the
	marinade than meat, and this is depending on the quality of the
tofu.
	So, I think if you are going to marinate it you can use less
marinade and do
	it in a shorter time than when you use beef, well... if you like it
just
	like the meat you want to replace.
	Correct me if I'm wrong on the 'I think' items.

	Hot regards
	Rob