Re: [CH] Oil in pickling

Ed Cutrell (ecutrell@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 15:11:01 -0700 (PDT)

> On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Tantrika wrote:
>
> > ok, I guess I'm confused.  I know I've BOUGHT pepperoncinis that had both
> > oil (olive) and vinegar as the liquid.  So if they can be bought, would
> > their not be a safe means to also do it one's self?
>
> Boiling water temperatures will not destroy the spores.  It takes higher
> temperatures for some time to kill the spores.  I'm not sure if
> irradiation can be effectively used to kill the spores.
> I recommend that you do not pack/can things in oil.
>
> Chuck Demas

If you want to do this, the safe way is to use a canning pressure cooker.
You can get the temperatures you need to sterilize just about anything,
and it's pretty easy.  (I use mine for preparing sterile media for plating
out yeast cultures for beer.)  The downside here is that they can be a bit
expensive, and if you're not planning on doing a lot of preserving it's
probably not worth it.  If you're only doing a small batch, a smaller
pressure cooker will work, and they're a lot more generally useful.

ed