Re: [CH] pressure canners/cookers

Rich McCormack (macknet@cts.com)
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 06:00:55 -0700

Judy Howle wrote:

> I bought a smaller pressure canner.  I think it's an 8 qt. made by Mirro.
> It holds only pints but that's all I use anyway.  This size can easily
> double as a pressure cooker and a stockpot.  I also have a 4 qt. and 6 qt.
> pressure cooker so I haven't had to use it for pressure cooking other than
> canning.  I use my pressure cookers all the time.  Makes the best roast beef
> soups in only 30 min. And cooks chicken in a short time. You can even do
> pinto beans but they foam so much you can only do a small amount in a 4 qt.
> You can even can pinto beans yourself using pressure.

I've thought about using our pressure cooker for canning, but it
doesn't have a pressure gauge.  Seems risky, so I've stuck with
boiling water bath pickling in brine.  Have any chile-heads out
there ever used a non-gauge pressure cooker for canning with
satisfactory results?

--
Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@cts.com

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at...