Re: [CH] candy that BURNS

Console IIcx (tfnews@gate.net)
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 11:31:08 -0500

Sandy,

   The tamarind, Tamarindus indica, is a native of tropical Africa and
may be one of the most ornamental of the tropical fruits. It is likely
that it originated in the Sudan but has been quite common through India,
Africa and the Mid East for centuries. Now it is planted pantropical
(arrived in Hawaii 1797). Chile Head interest - Chutneys, Curries,
Sauces.
   Used fresh, pulp as fruit, cooking agent, laxative, even as a
vegetable. For pulp you might look in an ethnic store, if your area has
a hispanic population you might find frozen pulp in larger stores.
   A problem with e-mail is that most addresses give no indication of
where the sender lives, while a blessing at times :) it can be a
problem. If your conditions are simular to the above areas or warm
Florida, Texas, California, Australia... then you can grow tamarind. If
you have more than a little frost the tree must be grown with
protection, any frost can kill young trees. I have seen fruiting trees
that were quite small but the tree can reach 40 ft or more, prune to
keep small).
   Where to get one? Seed from a grower will take some time to grow and
a young plant may be your best bet. Hopkins Citrus/Fruit Tree Nursery in
Florida, (954) 434-5558; Pacific Tree Farms in California, (619)
422-2400; Limberlost Nurseries Pty Ltd in Queensland, 07 4055 1262
should have tamerind or direct you to one. If you do not find one
through then I could come up with one. (No $interest in the nurseries).
   If you want more information on tropical fruits check the page below.
Besides the page there is a monthly magazine and two new e-mail lists,
one for the fruits and one for recipes.
   Best of growing,
   Bob Cannon
   Editor Tropical Fruit News Magazine