Re: [CH] TWEETY BIRD

Doug Irvine (dirvin@bc.sympatico.ca)
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 18:48:00 -0700

Rain wrote:

> -> > Yes indeed.  Ever tried it [tofu] homemade?  it's absolutely
> -> > delicious.
BIG snip...OK youse guys(that is for your yankee or whatevr heritage) I
have been eating tofu ever since I first discovered it when I was a
kid(now 72)from a Chinese missionary friend, and I have tried to make it
following the best chinese cookbooks that I have, and believe me, I have
a bunch(some in Chinese, both Mandarin and Cantonese)and I have yet to
produce anything anywhere close to what is produced commercially by the
Chinese people...I have watched how they do it, and it is nearly
impossible to duplicate at home without all of their equipment...I have
produced some that was not bad, but when I considered the time and
effort involved by me, and the cost of a block of commercially produced
tofu, like WOW, man there aint a comparison!
Go for it however, as I have been cooking for fifty years, and turn out
a pretty mean meal, as my recipes and the people who have tried them
attest, then I will stand to be corrected, and would welcome an EASY,
SIMPLE, way to make tofu....just grinding the soybeans is a pain in the
butt!Even with our big grinder!Cheers, Doug in BC