Re: [CH] time for a chilehead legal defense fund?

John Benz Fentner, Jr. (johnfentner@home.net)
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 18:19:00 -0400

The Old Bear wrote:

> Attention ChileHeads!
>
> After the problems a while back when the Lebanon, New Hampshire
> police pressed assault charges against a teenager working in
> an all-night coffee shop for putting too much hot sauce in
> an officer's breakfast, chileheads have learned to be watchful
> and ever-vigilant against those whose actions would defame
> El Grande and limit the rights of every chilehead to inflame
> his or her alimentary system and that of those in moderately
> close proximity.
>
> Toward this end, I present the following shocking newsclip,
> an excerpt from an AP wire service story cited in yesterday's
> Boston Globe's New England News Briefs:
>
>     TOWN FINES FIRM FOR PEPPER RUNOFF
>     ---------------------------------
>     DEERFIED, Mass. - Selectment have voted to fine
>     Cain's Foods $14,000 for sendng too much hot pepper
>     juice into the town sewer plant.  Selectman John
>     Paciorek said the food processor has exceeded the
>     limits of its permit to use the sewer plant, which
>     is operating at near capacity.  Brian Warne, director
>     of engineering for Cain's, questioned whether the
>     company's expansion was to blame for the sewer
>     plant's troubles, and said company officials hope to
>     meet with the selectment.
>
> Cain's is a very respected regional producer of pickles,
> condiments, and mayonaise.  It is shocking to think that, in
> Massachusetts, birthplace of American liberty, this company
> could be hauled before a legislative body over excessive
> hot pepper juice -- not to mention the very arguable concept
> of "excessive" as an adjective applied to hot pepper anything.
>
> Chileheads will be watching this matter closely, I am sure.
>
> cheers,
> the old bear

Hmmmmmmmm...this may be a case of misplaced emphasis. The
citation is not for dumping too much HOT PEPPER JUICE but
rather for dumping TOO MUCH hot pepper juice. One can
certainly be sympathetic to an official who objects to
dumping pepper juice down a sewer rather than using it for
some useful purpose like filling the municipal swimming
pool. (Water Twister could be the Water Polo of the new
millenium).

Certainly the Cain's people should be censured for wasting a
valuable natural resource.

JB "o"o===="
Snorkeling...don't forget snorkeling.

--