Re: [CH] Tabasco Peppers

Inagaddadavida (rael@ebicom.net)
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 19:43:58 -0500

At 07:17 PM 10/18/98 -0400, Jill Jones wrote:
>Okay, so I thought I'd try to grow a few tabascos and MAN!  I have a
>zillion of the little buggers.  So now what?  You can only eat so many raw.
> Anyone have a killer hot sauce recipe?  I could really use it! And I'll
>have some green ones too, since it's mid October here in Atlanta, they'll
>never all turn red in time for first frost.  I'm anxious to see what ya'll
>come up with!

Basic ideas for storage (since there are gazillions o' recipes...):

-wash a number of 'em, shove them in a jar, fill with vinegar...will have
chile vinegar soon...great for salads, adding to salsas, etc...and keeps,
like, probably forever...replenish vinegar as needed...

-wash/de-stem a bunch, chop very fine, whip into some whole butter to make,
as they called it at the Magnolia Cafe in Austin TX ('cept they used
serranos), Luv Butter...use as you would butter...but with a kick...roll
most of it into "tubes" between waxed/plastic wrap to shape, freeze, and
cut off a "pat" as needed...

-simmer as many as you can handle (say, 10 per cup..or more...you can
addeth, cannot taketh away..)in oil (canola works fine) for chile
oil...should be various recipes/methods for this in the CH archives...not
difficult but as always, when heating oil, use caution and never leave
unattended...

-pop a number of them in a freezer bag and freeze as is...will loose some
integrity when thawed, but such works fer me when Mr. Salsa calls my
name...or for whatever, actually...can dry some and do the same, or grind
into powder, etc...

'nuff...

peace, hendrix, and chiles.......

Rael